As well as the STARS/AIRS-integrated moodle for courses offered at Bilkent, BETS also maintain a “general-purpose” Moodle site, known colloquially as the “gen moodle”, for use by instructors, departments, administrators, research groups, student clubs, training programs, etc.: https://gen3moodle.bilkent.edu.tr
Example uses of the gen moodle include an instructor sandbox for designing new courses, a departmental information page, practice courses for student educators, an in-service training program page, a student club website, etc.
To request gen moodle user accounts and courses, email the Moodle support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the email, please include the following information:
- your school and department
- this MS Excel file (gen3-course-upload-blank) completed with all courses’:
- desired course short name (must be different from the course full name)
- desired course full name (a suggested title for your course, e.g., “Jenny Smith’s sandbox” or “EEE 101 Course Resources”, etc.)
- category ID (this is always 1 for “miscellaneous”)
- this MS Excel file (gen3-user-upload-blank), completed with all users’:
- Bilkent ID (type this in “username” please)
- Bilkent email address
- first name
- department (code, e.g., FAE, CITE, etc.)
- course enrolment (type the “course short name” as specified either above or in your course settings; must be different from the course full name)
- role in course: student, editingteacher, or teacher (=non-editing teacher/TA)
NOTES FOR ADMINS
To preserve Turkish characters in users’ names – ÇçĞğİɪÖöÜüŞş – the user list excel needs to be uploaded to Moodle as a Unicode text file with UTF-8 encoding. To convert the file, do the following:
- In MS Excel, save the spreadsheet as type “Unicode text”
- Open the file with Notepad (or other text editor), and click “save as”, and set the “encoding” option to UTF-8. Click save.
- When uploading to moodle (site administration > users > upload users) set “CSV delimiter” to /t (tab delimiter) and leave “encoding” as UTF-8 (this should be the default anyway)
To keep things organised, please create departmental categories as necessary and move new courses from the “miscellaneous” category.